Main camp gate at Buchenwald
For photo attribution see * below
The words “Everyone gets what he deserves” may sound just and true, but let us take a brief stroll through scripture and history. Remember Abel? Isaiah? Jeremiah? Zacharias? John the Baptist? Jesus? Stephen? Peter, James, John, colleagues, & converts? Abinadi?2 the believers at Ammonihah?3 the Anti-Nephi-Lehies?4 the thousands of other Christian martyrs like John Huss, William Tyndale, et al.?5 the falsely accused and convicted? the numerous genocide victims of the ages? the millions of abused and trafficked children of this 21st Century?6 & on and on?
YET, this proverb — Everyone gets what he deserves — seems to have become the thesis and mantra of the “Right — a “Right” that seeing, cannot yet see how its preferred economic system favors / encourages / rewards the psychopathic.7
Remember the phrase and professor of “You can buy anything in this world for money”? Could it be the same worldly professor of “Everyone gets what he deserves”? Could it be the same ground dweller who put these ideas into the mind and mouth of Korihor?
... that there could be no atonement made for the sins of men, but every man fared in this life according to the management of the creature; therefore every man prospered according to his genius, and that every man conquered according to his strength; and whatsoever a man did was no crime;8the same inspiration for Cain?
Truly I am Mahan, the master of this great secret, that I may murder and get gain.9Do we really think that competitive, natural men and women10 — those pursuers and protectors of power and gain in this world — have any just concept of who deserves what and when? Is this really a proverb that has been co-opted to justify “conservative” opinions about the undeserving poor, needy, downtrodden, and weak of this world? a proverb, that with honest study, can be seen to counter most of what the Savior said about the poor, the needy, AND the rich?11
Whether conservatives are willing to admit it or not, this proverb expresses a core tenant of their “faith” in free markets, capitalism, and Randian “objectivism.”12 BUT, what if this proverb, in reality, is a distortion of a higher reality? What if this proverb is a celestial construct torqued into a telestial sphere where natural men earn and / or administer “just deserts” according to the dictates of their own vain imaginations?
What if this proverb is only true in the hereafter for the unrepentant? Consider:
the meaning of the word restoration is to bring back again evil for evil, or carnal for carnal, or devilish for devilish—good for that which is good; righteous for that which is righteous; just for that which is just; merciful for that which is merciful. Therefore, my [children], see that you are merciful unto your brethren; deal justly, judge righteously, and do good continually; and if ye do all these things then shall ye receive your reward; yea, ye shall have mercy restored unto you again; ye shall have justice restored unto you again; ye shall have a righteous judgment restored unto you again; and ye shall have good rewarded unto you again. For that which ye do send out shall return unto you again, and be restored; therefore, the word restoration more fully condemneth the sinner, and justifieth him not at all.13As for the repentant: Who of us can say we deserve what we shall be given through the mercy and grace of Jesus Christ? — the Master of gifts and giving.
20 I say unto you, my brethren, that if you should render all the thanks and praise which your whole soul has power to possess, to that God who has created you, and has kept and preserved you, and has caused that ye should rejoice, and has granted that ye should live in peace one with another—We have been warned more than once that “deserts” in this world are unlikely to conform to God's truth and justice?
21 I say unto you that if ye should serve him who has created you from the beginning, and is preserving you from day to day, by lending you breath, that ye may live and move and do according to your own will, and even supporting you from one moment to another—I say, if ye should serve him with all your whole souls yet ye would be unprofitable servants.
22 And behold, all that he requires of you is to keep his commandments; and he has promised you that if ye would keep his commandments ye should prosper in the land; and he never doth vary from that which he hath said; therefore, if ye do keep his commandments he doth bless you and prosper you.
23 And now, in the first place, he hath created you, and granted unto you your lives, for which ye are indebted unto him.
24 And secondly, he doth require that ye should do as he hath commanded you; for which if ye do, he doth immediately bless you; and therefore he hath paid you. And ye are still indebted unto him, and are, and will be, forever and ever; therefore, of what have ye to boast?
25 And now I ask, can ye say aught of yourselves? I answer you, Nay. Ye cannot say that ye are even as much as the dust of the earth; yet ye were created of the dust of the earth; but behold, it belongeth to him who created you.14
Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you: But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy.15_____________________/
Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution. But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.16
If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you. If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.17
In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.18
2. Book of Mormon | Mosiah 17:9-13 ~ Now Abinadi said unto him: I say unto you, I will not recall the words which I have spoken unto you concerning this people, for they are true; and that ye may know of their surety I have suffered myself that I have fallen into your hands. Yea, and I will suffer even until death, and I will not recall my words, and they shall stand as a testimony against you. And if ye slay me ye will shed innocent blood, and this shall also stand as a testimony against you at the last day. And now king Noah was about to release him, for he feared his word; for he feared that the judgments of God would come upon him. But the priests lifted up their voices against him, and began to accuse him, saying: He has reviled the king. Therefore the king was stirred up in anger against him, and he delivered him up that he might be slain. And it came to pass that they took him and bound him, and scourged his skin with faggots, yea, even unto death.
3. Book of Mormon | Alma 14:8-10 ~ And they brought their wives and children together, and whosoever believed or had been taught to believe in the word of God they caused that they should be cast into the fire; and they also brought forth their records which contained the holy scriptures, and cast them into the fire also, that they might be burned and destroyed by fire. And it came to pass that they took Alma and Amulek, and carried them forth to the place of martyrdom, that they might witness the destruction of those who were consumed by fire. And when Amulek saw the pains of the women and children who were consuming in the fire, he also was pained; and he said unto Alma: How can we witness this awful scene?
4. Book of Mormon | Alma 24:21 ~ Now when the people [Anti-Nephi-Lehies] saw that they [the Lamanities] were coming against them they went out to meet them, and prostrated themselves before them to the earth, and began to call on the name of the Lord; and thus they were in this attitude when the Lamanites began to fall upon them, and began to slay them with the sword.
6. http://dejavu-timestwo.blogspot.ca/search/label/Abuse ;
8. Book of Mormon | Alma 30:17
9. Pearl of Great Price | Moses 5:31
10. Book of Mormon | Mosiah 3:19 ~ For the natural man is an enemy to God, and has been from the fall of Adam, and will be, forever and ever, unless he yields to the enticings of the Holy Spirit, and putteth off the natural man and becometh a saint through the atonement of Christ the Lord, and becometh as a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father.
13. Book of Mormon | Alma 41:13-15
14. Book of Mormon | Mosiah 2:20-25
15. New Testament | 1 Peter 4:12-13
16. New Testament | 2 Timothy 3:12-13
17. New Testament | John 15:18-19
18. New Testament | John 16:33
* Image attribution:
By Motorfix at the English language Wikipedia, CC BY-SA 3.0,
Link By Motorfix at the English language Wikipedia, CC BY-SA 3.0,