Some families are thrilled with the about-face of other family members after they have begun to put these “Spiritual Laws” into practice.
BUT, here are some questions to consider:
▪ Does motivation for obedience matter? In other words: are we following “spiritual laws” because God asks it of us? or are we doing it in pursuit of money or some other real-world agenda?1We live in a world rampant with deceiving and being deceived (yes, even—maybe especially—in God’s vineyard), so perhaps we should take to heart God’s warning:
▪ Would God be justified in asking: “When ye come to appear before me, who hath required this at your hand, to tread my courts?” (Old Testament | Isaiah 1:12)?
▪ Could impure motives be like offering “polluted bread upon mine altar” (Old Testament | Malachi 1:7)?
▪ Might an impure motivation warrant a rebuke similar to what Peter gave to one who sought to introduce money into spiritual matters, as in: “for thy heart is not right in the sight of God” (New Testament | Acts 8:21)?
▪ What do the scriptures define as priestcraft?
He [God] commandeth that there shall be no priestcrafts; for, behold, priestcrafts are that men preach and set themselves up for a light unto the world, that they may get gain and praise of the world; but they seek not the welfare of Zion. (Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 26:29)▪ Is this but another variation on the “seed-faith theology” promulgated by many televangelists who equate “seed” (and harvest) with the giving of money to their ministries?2
▪ What clues about priorities, focus, and motivation are given when a man presents his qualifications to teach prosperity principles as:
◦ “became a millionaire by the time he was 30 years old”;▪ Is “your Greatest Asset... YOU!” as this man asserts? or is it God and His uncorrupted truths?
◦ created a process that “ helped him go from making $1,000 a week to making $1,000 an hour”;
◦ “being in the top 1% in the world of income producers.”
▪ Could these scriptures have application to this man, his “spiritual laws” and all his evangelical cousins?
And it came to pass that he did teach these things so much that many did believe on his words, even so many that they began to support him and give him money. (Book of Mormon | Alma 1:5)▪ Who will most people blame and what will they abandon if these “spiritual laws” (outward performances??) don’t “create measurable ‘Real World’ Success” as they were hyped into expecting?
Nevertheless, this did not put an end to the spreading of priestcraft through the land; for there were many who loved the vain things of the world, and they went forth preaching false doctrines [motives?]; and this they did for the sake of riches and honor. (Book of Mormon | Alma 1:16)
HO, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters, and he that hath no money; come ye, buy, and eat; yea, come, buy wine and milk without money and without price. Wherefore do ye spend money for that which is not bread? and your labour for that which satisfieth not? hearken diligently unto me, and eat ye that which is good, and let your soul delight itself in fatness. Incline your ear, and come unto me: hear, and your soul shall live; and I will make an everlasting covenant with you, even the sure mercies of David. (Old Testament | Isaiah 55:1-3; see also Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 9:50)
Behold, doth he cry unto any, saying: Depart from me? Behold, I say unto you, Nay; but he saith: Come unto me all ye ends of the earth, buy milk and honey, without money and without price. (Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 26:25)
Hath he commanded any that they should not partake of his salvation? Behold I say unto you, Nay; but he hath given it free for all men; and he hath commanded his people that they should persuade all men to repentance. Behold, hath the Lord commanded any that they should not partake of his goodness? Behold I say unto you, Nay; but all men are privileged the one like unto the other [without tiers or grades], and none are forbidden. He commandeth that there shall be no priestcrafts; for, behold, priestcrafts are that men preach and set themselves up for a light unto the world, that they may get gain and praise of the world; but they seek not the welfare of Zion. Behold, the Lord hath forbidden this thing; wherefore, the Lord God hath given a ommandment that all men should have charity, which charity is love. And except they should have charity they were nothing. Wherefore, if they should have charity they would not suffer the laborer in Zion to perish. But the laborer in Zion shall labor for Zion; for if they labor for money they shall perish. (Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 26:27-31)
But it came to pass that whosoever did not belong to the church of God began to persecute those that did belong to the church of God, and had taken upon them the name of Christ. Yea, they did persecute them, and afflict them with all manner of words, and this because of their humility; because they were not proud in their own eyes, and because they did impart the word of God, one with another, without money and without price. (Book of Mormon | Alma 1:19-20)
And my vineyard has become corrupted every whit; and there is none which doeth good save it be a few; and they err in many instances because of priestcrafts, all having corrupt minds [and motives??]. (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 33:4)------------------------/
(All bold emphasis in quoted scripture above was made by this blogger.)
1. Consider the motives of Cain: see footnote one at http://dejavu-timestwo.blogspot.ca/2014/12/the-pity-ploy.html
2. See: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: Televangelists (HBO) [LANGUAGE CAUTION] at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y1xJAVZxXg (Time ~ 20:05 min.);
Seed Faith, part 1(Oral Roberts) with Benny Hinn at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saIqpKRAZIw (Time ~ 10:07 min.) [TRUTH CAUTION];
Seed and Faith with Rod Parsley & Cindy Trimm, at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbshUsMYxZg (Time ~ 13:37 min.) [TRUTH CAUTION];
The Word of Faith Movement and the Cultic Renewal of Indulgences by J. Danny Hone at http://www.christianissues.com/roots.html