(Some questions for latter-day Christians.)
Do we accept Jesus in whole or in part?
I ask this first question for three reasons:
1) in Jesus’ day, mental and physical illnesses were often recognized as having an oppositional base—illness being associated with possession by devils or unclean spirits; health and wellness with Christ’s power in casting them out;1So my other questions are these:
2) in our “modern” day, devils have gone out of fashion because science does not approve of such “other dimensional” influences, although in more recent years, multiple dimensions are becoming acceptable, except for the possibility of devils.2
3) many persons, in describing their mental illnesses,3 speak of hearing voices and experiencing real sensations of darkness, oppression,4 emptiness, sadness, worthlessness, hopelessness, inability to act, and so forth.
▪ Where are these voices coming from?Opposition is part of this life.18 It comes in different forms, at different times to every soul. Peter warned us:
▪ Why do we seem so afraid to entertain the possibility that they might originate with devils, demons, or unclean spirits?5
▪ Are we afraid to admit that most of us are possessed in some degree or other with unclean spirits generating unwanted thoughts, feelings, desires, fears, and dysfunctions because of one or more conditions of
▫ the flesh?6▪ If there are demonic whisperers,10 would it help sufferers to acknowledge the real source of these voices—in the spirit of Christ’s knowledge of disease and healing?
▫ the natural man?7
▫ our lost and fallen state?8
▫ our cultural tendency to trust in the arm of flesh?
▫ our willful or innocent choices in what we watch, read, listen to, or dwell on?
▫ unhealthy feelings, emotions, and desires we have entertained or pursued?
▫ traumatic experiences of violence, drug abuse, psychotropic use, etc.?9
▫ things we have never reconciled with God?
▪ Would it help to know that the adversary is more attracted to—perhaps obsessed with—people who are striving to do and be good, than ones who are not? (Remember Biblical Job.)
▪ Would it help to remember the Lord’s case-by-case perspective on illness?11
▪ If Jesus’ words and actions reveal the true base of illness, does it give us more hope and more power to act12 than when we struggle against nebulous, mysterious, mis-named, or ancillary causes?
▪ Would it help to recognize that physical and mental illness is one of the adversary’s tactics to spread misery?—to captivate body and soul?—to destroy the world?13—but that there is a power and grace to overcome all things in the Lord’s due time?
These things I [Jesus] have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world. (New Testament | John 16:33)▪ Would it help if those professing Christ’s power had the knowledge, understanding, faith,14 and courage to speak of devils and unclean spirits, and to use priesthood power as Christ did?—rebuking and casting out?15
Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world. (New Testament | 1 John 4:4)
He that is faithful and endureth shall overcome the world. (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 63:47)
▪ If Christ is displeased when we deny His power,16 is He also displeased when we discount, neglect, or deny the influence and power of the adversary17 (the opposition) in our attempts to understand, counsel, support, and heal sufferers?
▪ In this age of increasing mental, emotional, spiritual, and physical illness; of bullying, abuse, and violence in families, towns, cities, and nations; of cyber-stalking and trolling: Are we compounding the suffering of ourselves and others by putting our faith, trust, and belief in science, culture, medicine, Big Business, and à la mode* ideas about sickness and health?
Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you: But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy. (New Testament | 1 Peter 4:12-13)Paul warned us:
Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time: Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you. Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour: Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world. But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you. (New Testament | 1 Peter 5:6-10)
Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. (New Testament | Ephesians 6:11-13)John the Beloved counseled:
Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life. He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death. (New Testament | Revelation 2:10-11)Helaman said:
[R]emember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall. (Book of Mormon | Helaman 5:12)So my last questions are:
▪ Why is it that we seem to have so thoroughly expunged Jesus’ sickness and health paradigm not only from our everyday lives, but from discussion, discourse, and writing?Cautions: 1) Do not take this as wholesale denouncement of modern-day science or medicine. They have their proper role and place, but should they occupy first place where many of us seem to have positioned them? especially when we completely ignore the initial step in Christ’s process for healing? And 2) Do not single-out others to accuse of possession. Satan is the god of this world19 and is everywhere doing his work, so remember:
▪ If we turn our back on the real enemy and keep jousting with shadows, is it any wonder that pain and suffering endure?—sometimes beyond endurance?
▪ Would we find a new power of understanding, help, endurance, and healing if we took Jesus at His word?
... Why is it that thou beholdest the mote that is in thy brother’s eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? (New Testament, JST, Matthew 7:4)---------------------/
* À la mode = adverb & adjective; 1. in fashion; up-to-date.
1. New Testament | Matthew 9:32-33 ~ As they went out, behold, they brought to him [Jesus] a dumb man possessed with a devil. And when the devil was cast out, the dumb spake: and the multitudes marvelled, saying, It was never so seen in Israel.
New Testament | Matthew 12:25-28 ~ And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand: And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand? And if I by Beelzebub cast out devils, by whom do your children cast them out? therefore they shall be your judges. But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you.
New Testament | Mark 5:6-18 ~ But when he saw Jesus afar off, he ran and worshipped him, And cried with a loud voice, and said, What have I to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of the most high God? I adjure thee by God, that thou torment me not. For he [Jesus] said unto him, Come out of the man, thou unclean spirit. And he asked him, What is thy name? And he answered, saying, My name is Legion: for we are many. And he besought him much that he would not send them away out of the country. Now there was there nigh unto the mountains a great herd of swine feeding. And all the devils besought him, saying, Send us into the swine, that we may enter into them. And forthwith Jesus gave them leave. And the unclean spirits went out, and entered into the swine: and the herd ran violently down a steep place into the sea, (they were about two thousand;) and were choked in the sea. And they that fed the swine fled, and told it in the city, and in the country. And they went out to see what it was that was done. And they come to Jesus, and see him that was possessed with the devil, and had the legion, sitting, and clothed, and in his right mind: and they were afraid. And they that saw it told them how it befell to him that was possessed with the devil, and also concerning the swine. And they began to pray him to depart out of their coasts. And when he was come into the ship, he that had been possessed with the devil prayed him that he might be with him. (See also Luke 8:27-39)
New Testament | Mark 7:29-30 ~ And he [Jesus] said unto her, For this saying go thy way; the devil is gone out of thy daughter. And when she was come to her house, she found the devil gone out, and her daughter laid upon the bed.
New Testament | Luke 4:33-37 ~ And in the synagogue there was a man, which had a spirit of an unclean devil, and cried out with a loud voice, Saying, Let us alone; what have we to do with thee, thou Jesus of Nazareth? art thou come to destroy us? I know thee who thou art; the Holy One of God. And Jesus rebuked him, saying, Hold thy peace, and come out of him. And when the devil had thrown him in the midst, he came out of him, and hurt him not. And they were all amazed, and spake among themselves, saying, What a word is this! for with authority and power he commandeth the unclean spirits, and they come out. And the fame of him went out into every place of the country round about.
New Testament | Luke 8:11-12 ~ Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God. Those by the way side are they that hear; then cometh the devil, and taketh away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved.
New Testament | Luke 9:38-43 ~ And, behold, a man of the company cried out, saying, Master, I beseech thee, look upon my son: for he is mine only child. And, lo, a spirit taketh him, and he suddenly crieth out; and it teareth him that he foameth again, and bruising him hardly departeth from him. And I besought thy disciples to cast him out; and they could not. And Jesus answering said, O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you, and suffer you? Bring thy son hither. And as he was yet a coming, the devil threw him down, and tare him. And Jesus rebuked the unclean spirit, and healed the child, and delivered him again to his father. And they were all amazed at the mighty power of God.
New Testament | Luke 11:14-26 ~ If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him? And he [Jesus] was casting out a devil, and it was dumb. And it came to pass, when the devil was gone out, the dumb spake; and the people wondered. But some of them said, He casteth out devils through Beelzebub the chief of the devils. And others, tempting him, sought of him a sign from heaven. But he, knowing their thoughts, said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and a house divided against a house falleth. If Satan also be divided against himself, how shall his kingdom stand? because ye say that I cast out devils through Beelzebub. And if I by Beelzebub cast out devils, by whom do your sons cast them out? therefore shall they be your judges. But if I with the finger of God cast out devils, no doubt the kingdom of God is come upon you. When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace: But when a stronger than he shall come upon him, and overcome him, he taketh from him all his armour wherein he trusted, and divideth his spoils. He that is not with me is against me: and he that gathereth not with me scattereth. When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest; and finding none, he saith, I will return unto my house whence I came out. And when he cometh, he findeth it swept and garnished. Then goeth he, and taketh to him seven other spirits more wicked than himself; and they enter in, and dwell there: and the last state of that man is worse than the first.
New Testament | John 8:44-47 ~ Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it. And because I [Jesus] tell you the truth, ye believe me not. Which of you convinceth me of sin? And if I say the truth, why do ye not believe me? He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.
Words from Jesus’ Apostles/Prophets/Disciples
New Testament | Acts 5:15-16 ~ Insomuch that they brought forth the sick into the streets, and laid them on beds and couches, that at the least the shadow of Peter passing by might overshadow some of them. There came also a multitude out of the cities round about unto Jerusalem, bringing sick folks, and them which were vexed with unclean spirits: and they were healed every one.
New Testament | Acts 8:5-7 ~ Then Philip went down to the city of Samaria, and preached Christ unto them. And the people with one accord gave heed unto those things which Philip spake, hearing and seeing the miracles which he did. For unclean spirits, crying with loud voice, came out of many that were possessed with them: and many taken with palsies, and that were lame, were healed.
New Testament | Acts 10:38 ~ How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him
New Testament | Ephesians 4:24-27 ~ And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness. Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbour: for we are members one of another. Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath: Neither give place to the devil.
New Testament | 2 Timothy 2:26 ~ And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.
New Testament | James 4:7 ~ Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 11:31 ~ And he spake unto me again, saying: Look! And I looked, and I beheld the Lamb of God going forth among the children of men. And I beheld multitudes of people who were sick, and who were afflicted with all manner of diseases, and with devils and unclean spirits; and the angel spake and showed all these things unto me. And they were healed by the power of the Lamb of God; and the devils and the unclean spirits were cast out.
Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 12:17-18 ~ And the mists of darkness are the temptations of the devil, which blindeth the eyes, and hardeneth the hearts of the children of men, and leadeth them away into broad roads, that they perish and are lost. And the large and spacious building, which thy father saw, is vain imaginations and the pride of the children of men. And a great and a terrible gulf divideth them; yea, even the word of the justice of the Eternal God, and the Messiah who is the Lamb of God, of whom the Holy Ghost beareth record, from the beginning of the world until this time, and from this time henceforth and forever.
Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 26:10 ~ … they sell themselves for naught; for, for the reward of their pride and their foolishness they shall reap destruction; for because they yield unto the devil and choose works of darkness rather than light, therefore they must go down to hell.
Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 28:20-30 ~ For behold, at that day shall he rage in the hearts of the children of men, and stir them up to anger against that which is good. And others will he pacify, and lull them away into carnal security, that they will say: All is well in Zion; yea, Zion prospereth, all is well—and thus the devil cheateth their souls, and leadeth them away carefully down to hell. And behold, others he flattereth away, and telleth them there is no hell; and he saith unto them: I am no devil, for there is none—and thus he whispereth in their ears, until he grasps them with his awful chains, from whence there is no deliverance. Yea, they are grasped with death, and hell; and death, and hell, and the devil, and all that have been seized therewith must stand before the throne of God, and be judged according to their works, from whence they must go into the place prepared for them, even a lake of fire and brimstone, which is endless torment. Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion! Wo be unto him that crieth: All is well! Yea, wo be unto him that hearkeneth unto the precepts of men, and denieth the power of God, and the gift of the Holy Ghost! Yea, wo be unto him that saith: We have received, and we need no more! And in fine, wo unto all those who tremble, and are angry because of the truth of God! For behold, he that is built upon the rock receiveth it with gladness; and he that is built upon a sandy foundation trembleth lest he shall fall. Wo be unto him that shall say: We have received the word of God, and we need no more of the word of God, for we have enough! For behold, thus saith the Lord God: I will give unto the children of men line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little and there a little; and blessed are those who hearken unto my precepts, and lend an ear unto my counsel, for they shall learn wisdom; for unto him that receiveth I will give more; and from them that shall say, We have enough, from them shall be taken away even that which they have.
Book of Mormon | Alma 34:39 ~ Yea, and I also exhort you, my brethren, that ye be watchful unto prayer continually, that ye may not be led away by the temptations of the devil, that he may not overpower you, that ye may not become his subjects at the last day; for behold, he rewardeth you no good thing.
Book of Mormon | 3 Nephi 7:17, 19 ~ And Nephi did minister with power and with great authority…. And in the name of Jesus did he cast out devils and unclean spirits; and even his brother did he raise from the dead, after he had been stoned and suffered death by the people.
Book of Mormon | 3 Nephi 11:29 ~ For verily, verily I [Jesus] say unto you, he that hath the spirit of contention is not of me, but is of the devil, who is the father of contention, and he stirreth up the hearts of men to contend with anger, one with another.
Book of Mormon | 3 Nephi 18:15 ~ Verily, verily, I [Jesus] say unto you, ye must watch and pray always, lest ye be tempted by the devil, and ye be led away captive by him.
Doctrine and Covenants | Section 29:39-40 ~ And it must needs be that the devil should tempt the children of men, or they could not be agents unto themselves; for if they never should have bitter they could not know the sweet—Wherefore, it came to pass that the devil tempted Adam, and he partook of the forbidden fruit and transgressed the commandment, wherein he became subject to the will of the devil, because he yielded unto temptation.
(See also footnote 5 below.)
2. (Though from local and world headlines, perhaps we have enough devils in this flesh dimension that to acknowledge more in an invisible dimension would be overwhelming. However scripture records: Pearl of Great Price | Moses 4:3 ~ Wherefore, because that Satan rebelled against me, and sought to destroy the agency of man, which I, the Lord God, had given him, and also, that I should give unto him mine own power; by the power of mine Only Begotten, I caused that he should be cast down;
Old Testament | Job 1:7 ~ And the LORD said unto Satan, Whence comest thou? Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it.
Doctrine and Covenants | Section 10:27 ~ And thus he [Satan] goeth up and down, to and fro in the earth, seeking to destroy the souls of men.
3. Wit's End, Part 1 (54 min.) at http://www.cbc.ca/radio/ideas/wit-s-end-part-1-1.3641153
Wit's End, Part 2 (54 min.) at http://www.cbc.ca/radio/ideas/wit-s-end-part-2-1.3654204
4. New Testament | Acts 10:38 ~ How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him
5. New Testament | Matthew 10:1 ~ AND when he had called unto him his twelve disciples, he gave them power against unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all manner of sickness and all manner of disease.
New Testament | Mark 1:27 ~ And they were all amazed, insomuch that they questioned among themselves, saying, What thing is this? what new doctrine is this? for with authority commandeth he [Jesus] even the unclean spirits, and they do obey him. (Also Luke 4:36)
New Testament | Mark 3:10-12 ~ For he had healed many; insomuch that they pressed upon him for to touch him, as many as had plagues. And unclean spirits, when they saw him, fell down before him, and cried, saying, Thou art the Son of God. And he straitly charged them that they should not make him known.
New Testament | Mark 6:7 ~ And he called unto him the twelve, and began to send them forth by two and two; and gave them power over unclean spirits;
New Testament | Luke 6:17-19 ~ … a great multitude of people out of all Judæa and Jerusalem, and from the sea coast of Tyre and Sidon, which came to hear him [Jesus], and to be healed of their diseases; And they that were vexed with unclean spirits: and they were healed. And the whole multitude sought to touch him: for there went virtue out of him, and healed them all.
(See also footnote 1 above.)
6. Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 2: 29 ~ And not choose eternal death, according to the will of the flesh and the evil which is therein, which giveth the spirit of the devil power to captivate, to bring you down to hell, that he may reign over you in his own kingdom.
Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 10: 24 ~ … reconcile yourselves to the will of God, and not to the will of the devil and the flesh; …
7. New Testament | 1 Corinthians 2:14 ~ But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
Book of Mormon | Mosiah 3:19 ~ For the natural man is an enemy to God, and has been from the fall of Adam, and will be, forever and ever, unless he yields to the enticings of the Holy Spirit, and putteth off the natural man and becometh a saint through the atonement of Christ the Lord, and becometh as a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father.
8. Book of Mormon | Mosiah 16:3-5 ~ For they are carnal and devilish, and the devil has power over them; yea, even that old serpent that did beguile our first parents, which was the cause of their fall; which was the cause of all mankind becoming carnal, sensual, devilish, knowing evil from good, subjecting themselves to the devil. Thus all mankind were lost; and behold, they would have been endlessly lost were it not that God redeemed his people from their lost and fallen state. But remember that he that persists in his own carnal nature, and goes on in the ways of sin and rebellion against God, remaineth in his fallen state and the devil hath all power over him. Therefore, he is as though there was no redemption made, being an enemy to God; and also is the devil an enemy to God.
10. Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 28:22 ~ And behold, others he flattereth away, and telleth them there is no hell; and he saith unto them: I am no devil, for there is none—and thus he whispereth in their ears, until he grasps them with his awful chains, from whence there is no deliverance.
11. New Testament | John 5:8-9, 13-14 ~ Jesus saith unto him, Rise, take up thy bed, and walk. And immediately the man was made whole, and took up his bed, and walked: and on the same day was the sabbath. … And he that was healed wist not who it was: for Jesus had conveyed himself away, a multitude being in that place. Afterward Jesus findeth him in the temple, and said unto him, Behold, thou art made whole: sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee.
New Testament | John 9:1-3 ~ AND as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth. And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind? Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him.
12. Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 2:26 ~ And the Messiah cometh in the fulness of time, that he may redeem the children of men from the fall. And because that they are redeemed from the fall they have become free forever, knowing good from evil; to act for themselves and not to be acted upon, save it be by the punishment of the law at the great and last day, according to the commandments which God hath given.
13. Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 2:18, 27 ~ And because he [the devil] had fallen from heaven, and had become miserable forever, he sought also the misery of all mankind. … Wherefore, men are free according to the flesh; and all things are given them which are expedient unto man. And they are free to choose liberty and eternal life, through the great Mediator of all men, or to choose captivity and death, according to the captivity and power of the devil; for he seeketh that all men might be miserable like unto himself.
Doctrine and Covenants | Section 10:27 ~ And thus he [Satan] goeth up and down, to and fro in the earth, seeking to destroy the souls of men.
Pearl of Great Price | Moses 4:6 ~ And Satan put it into the heart of the serpent, (for he had drawn away many after him,) and he sought also to beguile Eve, for he knew not the mind of God, wherefore he sought to destroy the world.
14. New Testament | Matthew 17:17-21 ~ Then Jesus answered and said, O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you? how long shall I suffer you? bring him hither to me. And Jesus rebuked the devil; and he departed out of him: and the child was cured from that very hour. Then came the disciples to Jesus apart, and said, Why could not we cast him out? And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you. Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting.
15. See footnotes 1 and 5 herein.
16. Book of Mormon | Moroni 10:7-8 ~ And ye may know that he is, by the power of the Holy Ghost; wherefore I would exhort you that ye deny not the power of God; for he worketh by power, according to the faith of the children of men, the same today and tomorrow, and forever. And again, I exhort you, my brethren, that ye deny not the gifts of God, for they are many; and they come from the same God.
17. See footnote 9
18. Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 2:11-16 ~ For it must needs be, that there is an opposition in all things. If not so, … righteousness could not be brought to pass, neither wickedness, neither holiness nor misery, neither good nor bad. Wherefore, all things must needs be a compound in one; wherefore, if it should be one body it must needs remain as dead, having no life neither death, nor corruption nor incorruption, happiness nor misery, neither sense nor insensibility. Wherefore, it must needs have been created for a thing of naught; wherefore there would have been no purpose in the end of its creation. Wherefore, this thing must needs destroy the wisdom of God and his eternal purposes, and also the power, and the mercy, and the justice of God. And if ye shall say there is no law, ye shall also say there is no sin. If ye shall say there is no sin, ye shall also say there is no righteousness. And if there be no righteousness there be no happiness. And if there be no righteousness nor happiness there be no punishment nor misery. And if these things are not there is no God. And if there is no God we are not, neither the earth; for there could have been no creation of things, neither to act nor to be acted upon; wherefore, all things must have vanished away. And now, my sons, I speak unto you these things for your profit and learning; for there is a God, and he hath created all things, both the heavens and the earth, and all things that in them are, both things to act and things to be acted upon. And to bring about his eternal purposes in the end of man, after he had created our first parents, and the beasts of the field and the fowls of the air, and in fine, all things which are created, it must needs be that there was an opposition; even the forbidden fruit in opposition to the tree of life; the one being sweet and the other bitter. Wherefore, the Lord God gave unto man that he should act for himself. Wherefore, man could not act for himself save it should be that he was enticed by the one or the other.
19. New Testament | 2 Corinthians 4:4 ~ In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.