And God looked upon the earth, and, behold, it was corrupt, for all flesh had corrupted its way upon the earth. (Pearl of Great Price | Moses 8:291)So what was the accusation? Moses wrote: “all flesh had corrupted its way upon the earth.”
And it repented the Lord that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart. (Old Testament | Genesis 6:6)
And it repented Noah, and his heart was pained that the Lord had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at the heart. (Pearl of Great Price | Moses 8:252)
So what was the corruption that warranted such grief and pain? Was it the persistent breaking of the Ten Commandments?3 as in
1. having other godsOr was it something more?
2. making and worshiping graven images
3. profanities and blasphemies
4. failing to observe the Sabbath Day
5. dishonouring parents
9. bearing false witness
10. coveting / envy
Could this record (circa 73 B.C.) from somewhere in the Americas describe a partial déjà vu from Noah's day?
21 But behold, Satan did stir up the hearts of the more part of the [people], insomuch that they did unite with those bands of robbers, and did enter into their covenants and their oaths, that they would protect and preserve one another in whatsoever difficult circumstances they should be placed, that they should not suffer for their murders, and their plunderings, and their stealings.But was there something even more corrupt in Noah's day that is repeating as a déjà vu—in our day?
22 And it came to pass that they did have their signs, yea, their secret signs, and their secret words; and this that they might distinguish a brother who had entered into the covenant, that whatsoever wickedness his brother should do he should not be injured by his brother, nor by those who did belong to his band, who had taken this covenant.
23 And thus they might murder, and plunder, and steal, and commit whoredoms and all manner of wickedness, contrary to the laws of their country and also the laws of their God.
24 And whosoever of those who belonged to their band should reveal unto the world of their wickedness and their abominations, should be tried, not according to the laws of their country, but according to the laws of their wickedness, which had been given by Gadianton and Kishkumen.
25 Now behold, it is these secret oaths and covenants which Alma commanded his son should not go forth unto the world, lest they should be a means of bringing down the people unto destruction.
26 Now behold, those secret oaths and covenants did not come forth unto Gadianton from the records which were delivered unto Helaman; but behold, they were put into the heart of Gadianton by that same being who did entice our first parents to partake of the forbidden fruit—
27 Yea, that same being who did plot with Cain, that if he would murder his brother Abel it should not be known unto the world. And he did plot with Cain and his followers from that time forth.
28 And also it is that same being who put it into the hearts of the people to build a tower sufficiently high that they might get to heaven. And it was that same being who led on the people who came from that tower into this land; who spread the works of darkness and abominations over all the face of the land, until he dragged the people down to an entire destruction, and to an everlasting hell.
29 Yea, it is that same being who put it into the heart of Gadianton to still carry on the work of darkness, and of secret murder; and he has brought it forth from the beginning of man even down to this time.
30 And behold, it is he who is the author of all sin. And behold, he doth carry on his works of darkness and secret murder, and doth hand down their plots, and their oaths, and their covenants, and their plans of awful wickedness, from generation to generation according as he can get hold upon the hearts of the children of men.
31 And now behold, he had got great hold upon the hearts of the [people]; yea, insomuch that they had become exceedingly wicked; yea, the more part of them had turned out of the way of righteousness, and did trample under their feet the commandments of God, and did turn unto their own ways, and did build up unto themselves idols of their gold and their silver. (Book of Mormon | Helaman 6:21-31; bold emphasis added.)
But as the days of Noe were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. (New Testament | Matthew 24:375)Was there something hidden, secret, shocking, and so incredibly, unbelievably corrupted that it will challenge every thing Christians (and non-Christians) believe and hope for? something that will turn things inside-out and upside-down? something so grievous as to warrant a final judgment and destruction of all that is unredeemedly corrupted?
And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect’s sake those days shall be shortened. (New Testament | Matthew 24:22; see also Mark 13:20)Was there something Satan almost achieved in Noah's day and is now reviving with his “power, and signs and lying wonders”?6 something imagined by conjoined rebels against God?
And the Lord said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do. (Old Testament | Genesis 11:6)Could it be something revealed in myths and legends that we can't seem to fathom? something referenced in scripture that we refuse to understand?7 something completely outside our experience? something conceived and secretly engineered by satanic powers? genetic corruptions purporting to “improve” God's plan and purposes? genetic manipulations spawned in curiosity? obsession? addiction? hubris? Could it be sentient, experimental hybrids of every flesh? engineered monsters? hybrids, too, of man and machine? demon-infused robots? trauma-based bots? things hinted at in supposed “sci-fi” and cult classics? realities we are not prepared to comprehend or defend against because we have been blind and deaf to discoveries, revelations, witnesses, myths, and warnings? Could it be hidden technologies that will deceive nigh every soul when seen? And will it all unfold with convincing promises of tech-based salvation? immortality, eternal life, and endless pleasures without conscience?
Could bizarre things come to fruition while we are distracted with “eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage” (and engaging in practices like unto it) as we pursue our own way and wills?
What has historical man not imagined as evidenced in artifacts, art, and architecture? And what has the mind of rebellious mankind (in league with dark powers) not imagined?8
Perhaps it is time to learn and discern the tragic history of “the days of Noah”?
1. Old Testament | Genesis 6:12 ~ And God looked upon the earth, and, behold, it was corrupt; for all flesh had corrupted his way upon the earth.
2. See also Old Testament | JST Genesis 8:13)
3. Old Testament | Exodus 20: 1-17
4. Book of Mormon | Alma 37:27 ~ And now, my son, I command you that ye retain all their oaths, and their covenants, and their agreements in their secret abominations; yea, and all their signs and their wonders ye shall keep from this people, that they know them not, lest peradventure they should fall into darkness also and be destroyed. Therefore ye shall keep these secret plans of their oaths and their covenants from this people, and only their wickedness and their murders and their abominations shall ye make known unto them; and ye shall teach them to abhor such wickedness and abominations and murders; and ye shall also teach them that these people were destroyed on account of their wickedness and abominations and their murders. And now, my son, remember the words which I have spoken unto you; trust not those secret plans unto this people, but teach them an everlasting hatred against sin and iniquity.
5. See also New Testament | Luke 17:26; JST Matthew 1:41-42 ~ But as it was in the days of Noah, so it shall be also at the coming of the Son of Man; For it shall be with them, as it was in the days which were before the flood; for until the day that Noah entered into the ark they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage;
Pearl of Great Price | Moses 7:60 ~ And the Lord said unto Enoch: As I live, even so will I come in the last days, in the days of wickedness and vengeance, to fulfil the oath which I have made unto you concerning the children of Noah;
Book of Mormon | Alma 12:36 ~ And now, my brethren, behold I say unto you, that if ye will harden your hearts ye shall not enter into the rest of the Lord; therefore your iniquity provoketh him that he sendeth down his wrath upon you as in the first provocation, yea, according to his word in the last provocation as well as the first, to the everlasting destruction of your souls; therefore, according to his word, unto the last death, as well as the first.
6. New Testament | JST, 2 Thessalonians 2:9 ~ Yea, the Lord, even Jesus, whose coming is not until after there cometh a falling away, by the working of Satan with all power, and signs and lying wonders,
7. —like, Genesis 6:1-6?—
8. Old Testament | Genesis 6:5 ~ And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.